April 2022 Safety Bulletin

Energy in your pocket

A few months ago, we received a report of a battery catching fire in someone’s pocket

It had been shorted by some tin foil also in their pocket. No injuries were sustained. This seemed like an unusual and improbable incident at the time.

However, in the past month we have had a second report of a similar incident involving a device battery and coins in a pocket.

Again, the battery caught fire, but this time gave burns to the persons thigh before they could remove it.

April 2022 Safety Bulletin