It can be difficult to understand what buying and owning a woodland entails. However Tilhill Forestry are here to help navigate you through the process.
We provide a full end to end service from identifying your needs through to purchase, guiding you through every step of the process.
Typically this may include:
- Initial contact with our Investment Team for an introductory discussion covering such matters as investment objectives, timetable, amount to invest and preferred locations.
- From this, we identify one or more suitable properties (searching both on-market and off-market opportunities) and present them to the investor.
- We will then carry out a woodland assessment which will include an inspection of all the features which affect the properties’ capability to grow timber. If required, it will also include a formal timber measurement exercise, a review of the state of the forest infrastructure (roads, fences etc), a review of the Forest Plan (or creating a recommended plan if none exists), assessment of the local timber market and suitability for harvesting operations.
- An Acquisition Report is then drawn up consisting of two parts:
- A financial analysis, which draws together all the information into a simple Cash Flow and gives an indicative price to meet your target IRR.
- A written report which sets out the results of the woodland assessment and gives the basis and assumptions behind the Cash Flow, together with supporting maps and orthophotos.
- We can present the bid to the selling agent on behalf of the investor.
- If the bid is successful, we will work with the solicitors to ensure a rapid and smooth progression of the legal process.
- On completion of the transaction, we will handover to our forest management team who will ensure you get the best possible return on your investment.
Please note that Tilhill Forestry can only advise on forestry matters. We are not authorised to give investment or taxation advice.